Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Free Food!

What a concept.

Pay-as-you-can Restaurants!

The first thought that came to me was, this would never work in India. People would take advantage of the non-capitalist altruism inherent in such an idea. Then I thought, maybe I'm being too pessimistic about my people, who I do love.

And then I read further. Oh the irony!
Paying the check by honor system has its risks; there are always those who will exploit the opportunity and eat for free � perhaps more so in big cities. At Babu, an Indian restaurant in New York City, the pay-what-you-feel-is-fair method resulted in too many people getting a free meal. One Friday night, a rowdy group of 10 young Indians walked in and took over the restaurant's large central table. Their response to no prices was to leave no money; not even a tip for the wait staff. Babu now states their prices.
There you go. I'm not just a paranoid pessimist.

Anyway, the point is it's a cool concept - not sure it's profit-making, but a very Christian idea, I'd think.

No comments: