Wednesday, August 23, 2006

About Being Born Late

Most people who know me have this funny idea that I'm a closet hippie. Well, I guess they're right. I found a song about it too, and that makes me happy. Here's to all those closet hippies out there in the world.

I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker
-Sandi Thom

Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
In 77 and 69 revolution was in the air
I was born too late into a world that doesn't care
Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair

When the head of state didn't play guitar,
Not everybody drove a car,
When music really mattered and when radio was king,
When accountants didn't have control
And the media couldn't buy your soul
And computers were still scary and we didn’t know everything

[Chorus]

When pop-stars still remained a myth
And ignorance could still be bliss
And when God Saved the Queen she turned a whiter shade of pale
When my mom and dad were in their teens
And anarchy was still a dream
And the only way to stay in touch was a letter in the mail

[Chorus]

When record shops were still on top
And vinyl was all that they stocked
And the super info highway was still drifting out in space
Kids were wearing hand me downs,
And playing games meant kick around
And footballers still had long hair and dirt across their face

[Chorus]

I was born too late to a world that doesn't care
Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair

(I'd take the punk rocker thing figuratively, of course)

7 comments:

dan said...

Dude, you had a multi-coloured car with flowers painted on it, your hair sees a pair of scissors about once a year, you play the guitar by campfires, walk around in bell-bottoms, wear your pajamas to work, and you have a picture of Bob Marley in a thong on the wall of your room, with hearts drawn around it- where does the closet part come in?

Skinniyah said...

Dude. You're totally off. My picture of Bob Marley is the one WITHOUT the thong.

Anonymous said...

your care was really something special though - did i send you the pictures i took of it?

Anonymous said...

opps, your car, i meant.

Skinniyah said...

Don't think I have the pics... send them? Please?

THE D'SOUZAS said...

I quite like the song. She is a good, singer. A breath of fresh air among all the trash these days. The lyrics are a bit off but ... To come out and market it on the net and all that , quite innovative.
P.S. If you see the same message on Rock of ages, please excuse me, I think i meant that message to be posted here. Blasphemy!

Skinniyah said...

I hear that the net marketing thing was kind of a gimmick... but it still is innovative.